March 22, 2011

Changes


So much has happened in the last year that I hardly know where to begin. My Dad passed away very suddenly last April. He and my Mom were walking on the grounds of the nursing home and he just collapsed and that was it. No suffering, just sweet peace.




(My Daddy giving me a kiss right before he walks me down he aisle.)


Since my Dad has passed my Mom has been on a bad downward spiral. She doesn't remember my Dad, so at least she's not grieving. We had a couple big scares with her, because she has managed to get out of the nursing home and wander off. One time she was found walking in the downtown area four miles away. Fortunately, an employee from the nursing home just happened to see her on her way to work. My Mom told her she was walking home to West Virginia:( Since that incident we have a special arm alarm my Mom wears that goes off if she leaves the building.




We also lost our beloved puppy Jake last Spring. We were blessed to have him for fourteen wonderful years. Those that have been with me for awhile might remember a post I did about Jake, some paint, and painted puppy paws all over my
carpeted steps!! :) We sure do miss him.




Y'all knew we couldn't be without a puppy for long, so we ended up going to the local animal shelter and getting Miss Abbi. Isn't she the cutest?



But, don't let that sweet innocent face fool you!



As you can see, she's not so innocent after all! I'm sure I'll have plenty of puppy "tails" to tell in the future;)



Look how guilty she looks........

Another change was a good one, no, make that a GREAT ONE!! Miss Bonnie graduated at the top of her class in nursing school. I was one proud Mama ~ I could have busted my buttons!



Isn't she cute? :)

She is a cardiac nurse, and is now blessing many patients with her sweet smile and caring heart at our local hospital.


The same year Mr. P and I celebrated 28 years of marriage we also became "empty nesters." What a change it's been for us. I plan on writing a post about it when I can get my thoughts together.Miss Bonnie bought a house that she's turned into a darling "doll" house!! It should be on one of those HGTV shows with the before and afters, because it's quite a change. She shopped a lot of Goodwill, and mainly used a lot of elbow grease to turn it from shabby (but not as in chic;) to charming. Soon Miss Bonnie will invite us in for a visit!




And finally, here is a picture of Baby Ben who isn't a baby anymore! He is walking, running, talking, climbing, collecting rocks, examining bugs, and doing all those wonderful things that little boys like to do. I continue to thank God each and every day for the joy he brings into my life.



My goodness, I think that's enough changes for one post! I would love to hear about the changes that have happened in your lives, too!!


Much love,
Susan P.

5 comments:

Mrs. U said...

Hi Susan!!!
Wow, y'all have surely been down some hard roads this past year. I cannot imagine how hard it has been for you. I will be praying for your mother!!

YAY for Miss Bonnie!! I know you are beyond proud of her! I cannot wait for her to invite us over!! tee hee!!

A few years ago I read a post about being "open nesters" instead of "empty nesters". WONDERFUL!! I don't know how to make a link, so I'll copy and paste the long link.. http://solofemininity.blogs.com/posts/2008/03/open-nesters.html

It's just so good to "see" you. I think of you every time I make your Williamsburg Cornbread that you sent me the recipe for. YUM!!

His,
Mrs. U

Susan P. said...

Mrs. U, thank you so much for sending me the link for "Open Nesters!" I had never heard that term before, and I just love the positive spin it puts on this time of my life!!! I had never visited that website before, and I look forward to going back to explore the archives:)

Paula said...

I just about fell out of my chair when I saw you had 3 new posts! Joy, joy, joy! I'm so glad I didn't delete you from Google Reader!

What a year you have had! I'm so sorry for the losses you have experienced and rejoice with you in Miss Bonnie's big accomplishment. Looking forward to many happy reads in the days ahead. :)

Welcome back!!

Jodi said...

((Susan)) ~ It's so wonderful to a see a post from you! I am so sorry for the loss of your dad and for the progression of your mom's Alzheimer's disease. These are difficult journeys, indeed.

It was wonderful to hear of Miss Bonnie's accomplishments and to see a picture of that sweet baby Ben. How he has grown!

I look forward to more posts, and I echo Mrs. C - welcome back.

Susan P. said...

Mrs. C & Jodi, it's so good to "see" y'all again. You both hold a special place in my heart, because we all started blogging at the same time:) Can't wait to catch up!!!