August 05, 2009



I Am Shocked, Beyond Shocked, I'll Tell You......


Tonight while turning the channels to watch the news I landed on a show that made me so sick to my stomach I just had to jump on here and write about it (therapy, I guess.) Anyway, the show was called Toddlers & Tiara's, something I had never seen, nor will never, ever see again. It is a behind the scenes look of beauty pageants for little ,itty bitty, girls. I was absolutely disgusted by this show and am completely dumbfounded as to why anybody would ever put their child in something like it.

Have you ever heard of flippers? I hadn't. Well, if you haven't, let me enlighten you. They are fake teeth that the girls wear to get that so-called "perfect" smile. They also wear "ginormous" wigs, have fake nails, spray tans, professional make-up, and dresses that cost thousands of dollars. Yes, I said thousands. The biggest shocker ~ these girls are, for the most part, only in the age range of two to seven. Have you ever??????

What are these parents thinking? These "girls" didn't even look real, more like made-up plastic dolls ~ it was as if Barbie had come to life, only she was "toddler" Barbie! It was actually really "creepy" in a way. I promise I am not kidding you when I say I was sick to my stomach, because I was. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The most horrible thing in this whole situation is the messages these girls are receiving about what beauty is. I wanted so badly to reach into that tv screen and scrub that make-up off those babies that I could barely contain myself. I wanted to tell them they were beautiful just the way they were, and more importantly, they were precious in Jesus' sight.

After seeing the show I kind of got the impression that in a lot of the cases it was all for the Mom's ego and had nothing to do with the child. Oh, how it grieves me to see parents doing this to their children. We already have tv shows and magazine ads depicting skinny, air brushed models, and as a result we have a generation of beautiful young girls who have eating disorders and low self esteem. Now we have this and it is sending the same wrong messages to even two year old's, no less. Oh, my heavens, if you thought I was worked up about Hallmark, that is NOTHING compared to how I feel about this.

Please excuse me for ranting. If you've read me long enough, you know for the most part I like to be upbeat and positive, but sometimes something will come along that has me scratching my head in disbelief, and just really gets my "dander" up. To make up for it I promise in my next post I will have lots of pretty pictures!

*I guess I should say if you are a fan of the show I don't mean to offend you, and I'm sorry if I have made you upset, BUT, .....sometimes a girl's just gotta do what a girl's gotta do and this is one of those times!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen this show (I live in Europe) but I have to agree with you 100% on these type of shows. As a mother to a daughter who will be 11 years old this month and a daughter who will be 7 next month I cannot understand how a mother can expose her precious daughter/s to such a life. These little innocent girls should be playing with their dolls and little friends and bask in family love not the limelight of tv shows with visits to beauticans/hairdressers/costume fitters etc. How sad!!!

Blessings

Louise

Amy O/picketfencemom said...

Amen, Sister! I've never seen the show, and we don't even have access to any TV networks/cable/etc. But I saw a promo for it when we were at the beach and I couldn't BELIEVE my eyes. Those babies need to be cuddled up with mom reading picture books, playing outside, or cuddling their own baby dolls...not being made into real-life Barbies as you said! Unreal...and oh so sad!
You tell it, Susan!

Wendi said...

I have never watched the show, but have seen the commercials. The commercials are enough to turn my stomach. I can't imagine how watching the show would make me feel. My Mama says if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all, so I should stop. Let's just say that I think it is unfair to the children.

Have a great day!

Patty said...

I couldn't agree more and it makes me so sick to see those little girls paraded around like that I think it is more for their mommas than the girls themselves. I pray that will know they were created in God's image and they are beautiful inside and out w/out all the fake stuff!

Love you,
Patty

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I saw the commercials advertising this show and was appalled just from that.

Every once in awhile I'll tune in to a show I haven't watched before out of curiosity. It is amazing to me how many of the new shows shock me (and I'm not easily shocked).

We were recently a Nielson family and had to keep a diary for a week. They give you a page to write comments. I filled it out completely. :)

Anonymous said...

I have watched the show once. Once was all I could take. It was sickening to watch. I felt so sorry for those poor little girls....

Mrs. U said...

You KNOW I agree with you!! I only saw a commercial for the show and was sick to my stomach. These are little girls who should be playing with Little People, baking in their pretend kitchen and getting dirty in the sandbox!!! It shocks me that these parents do not even THINK about protecting their precious charges. I do not understand them at all.

His,
Mrs. U

Becky said...

I just watched that train wreck of a show last weekend and I was just flabbergasted! I wanted to smack those silly mothers into next week for putting their little girls into such a horrid thing as a pageant.

We can't we just let little girls be little!