March 02, 2007


Update On My Post About The Secret
When I started this little blog I wanted it to be a place where I could share my love of the Lord, my family and my home. I love talking about my home, decorating ideas, craft ideas, recipes, etc.. I wanted to create a blog that would be almost like a feeling of my own home, where you could come and visit with me for a nice cup of tea and a chat. I never intended it to serve as a "mouthpiece" for controversial issues, like I said I wanted it to be a happy, cozy place. My feelings are still the same over the matter but sometimes I feel like a person can't in good conscience be quiet about issues that they consider to be so important. That is how I feel about the number one bestselling book The Secret that Oprah is touting as a book that "will change your life and will give you everything you ever wanted such as the perfect job, more money, happiness, etc. etc etc."
It has sickened me to the point that I just can't be quiet. In my initial post about the book I have since been made aware that there are many other people who feel the same way as I do. A dear friend of mine sent me a link that goes into greater detail about how this best selling book is selling lies to hurting people and how it goes against everything the Bible says. I feel that we should let it be known that the The Secret isn't the answer, Jesus Christ is.
Okay, that's all I'm going to say on the subject. Please join me on Monday when I take you on a little Spring tour of our home and I also might throw in a yummy recipe;)
Much love,
Susan

7 comments:

Candy said...

I feel the same way Susan, about wanting my blog to be a happy but I also agree with you 100% too, that sometimes we have to say something when its SO important!
My feelings exactly. I read the link. What I cant get over with Oprah, is wasnt she raised Baptist? She should know better. I dont get it. I heard somewhere that when Tom Cruise and John Travolta tried to convert her to scientology, that she told them no because "she was born baptist and would die baptist". Maybe she changed her mind or something. Its seems this book is all about new age stuff like positive thinking. New age is SO dangerous. Its leading people the wrong way.
*sigh*

Anonymous said...

You are so right about Oprah. I feel so scared because celebrities like Oprah, Ellen and Martha who do not live Christian lives influence so many and are worshipped. The negative impact they have on so many will haunt us for years unless we Christians stop watching their programs and buying their products. I don't think we want our daughters thinking they are good role models.

Julieann said...

Susan, I had no idea this was going on. I don't watch Oprah and I have not heard of this book---thanks for the heads up--I will have to keep my ears open about it now.

Julieann:)

Karen said...

You are so right, Susan. If we don't speak up instead of straddling the fence, who will? I don't like to tackle the tough issues, and I want my blog to be a pleasant place, but sometimes we have to say something. I'm glad you brought this to the light of day, as I was unaware of how bad this was getting. I thought it was just another celebrity getting richer "monetarily", but certainly not morally.
Thank you for this post.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I believe talking about it is the right thing to do. I never like to put a ministry or anything down just because they are "not my style".

However, when what is being taught is heresy then people have to speak out. I haven't read much about The Secret or watched it on Oprah but it is getting popular enough in the media that what I'm hearing about it is definitely not good. Of course, so much of what Oprah has touted in the past has been a form of religion that tickles the ears so to speak.

Elizabeth said...

Amen Susan,
I have enjoyed reading your blog. When I posted about the secret I got so much flax from people. I ruffled a few feathers. It is time we as Christian took a stand. We have let the world take away so many of our rights as it is.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

CONNIE W said...

Before I knew more about "The Secret", I picked up the book at WalMart thinking I would buy it. My inner voice said to me (rather loudly this time, not a quiet whisper), "don't buy this book, read your bible instead" and I put it back on the shelf. I had carried it around for almost 10 minutes as I was shopping and I heard it repeated in my mind so clearly. Normally, my inner voice doesn't grab my attention as easily as it did this particular time. That was enough for me, I didn't buy the book.