February 27, 2007


The "Secret" About The Secret Isn't Really A Secret!

I think that it is safe to say that most everybody knows who Oprah Winfrey is. She is highly revered in our culture today and I think in many ways she is put up on such a pedestal that it is close to idolatry. People look to her for the answer to life's problems and they feel that what she touts is the gospel truth. A few weeks ago I saw an advertisement that she did where she claimed that she had found "The Secret" and it had changed her life. She also said that she was going to share "The Secret" with her audience. Upon hearing that I knew that millions upon millions would be glued to their seats the next day waiting for the "answer" to be uttered from her lips.

Well, what is "The Secret?" It is a philosophy about positive thinking and getting what you want out of life. The authors claim that it is based on scientific proof. If you put out positive thoughts to the "universe" the things that you want will come to you. As a result of that show those millions upon millions of people fled to their bookstores the next day to purchase "The Secret" so, they too could have the life they wanted. People are so desperate and hungry for something, anything to give them the life they think they want and need. They will spend billions of dollars in pursuit of this "elusive" dream. Me, me, me. More, more, more. How it grieves my heart to see this. If only they knew that "The Secret" isn't really a secret at all. What is it? Jesus Christ. The best part? Totally free, not $19.95 in a book store nearest you. Why? He already paid the price at Calvary for us.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
AMEN to your post - I completely agree with what you shared!

Bless you,
Michelle (from MI)

Anonymous said...

Susan, thanks for this post. I had read only a reference to this on another blog--not enough to really know what was going on. So you helped clarify what this was all about(we don't have tv so I never watch her). Yes, it's too bad she still doesn't know the real Answer.

Jodi said...

Susan, I didn't know anything about this, but I totally agree with the way your presented it! Jesus is the answer - Amen & Amen!

Cherish the Home said...

I didn't know about this either but it doesn't surprise me....just makes me sad.

Great post, I agree with all you said and loved the way you said it. (o:

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Anonymous said...

Amen Susan, He is the only way to true peace and happiness our Lord Jesus Christ. Blessings.

Sandra said...

Well said, Susan and I couldn't agree more. You said so well what has been on my mind since I heard about Oprah promoting this book.

Thanks!

Kelli said...

Excellent post, Susan. I stopped watching Oprah years ago when it seemed to me she believed in whatever religion her particular guest happened to believe in.
Kelli

Candy said...

Dont even get me started on Oprah ;) Seriously though, its true, almost seems like people worship her. It always troubled me that she speaks so much about "postive thinking" and "mother nature" or "your spirit" and uses those kinds of words. Its dangerous to misguide people when you are in the position as she is with all those viewers, to influence people.
Also, Ive noticed lately that she wears low cut shirts, revealing her chest area...I dont think thats right either. But thats just my opinion.

Candy~

Karen said...

Susan, thank you for your sweet, comforting words on my site. I treasure our friendships we've made here, and the prayers for our family.
Oprah who? Unfortunately, I DO know who she is. I don't like the influence she has on so many that are lost and looking for "something".
Makes me wonder if "The Secret" is a wolf in sheep's clothing for scientology.

Anonymous said...

Great post...unfortunately, the influence out there by the 'famous celebrities' can turn the tide with many of their impressionable watchers! Too bad 'she' isn't turning them to the Truth!

Mary said...

Amen.
Wonderfully and succinctly put.

Mindy said...

Amen and Amen!! Great Post Susan and so true! Jesus is the ONLY way to peace, joy and happiness!!!

Monica Wilkinson said...

AMEN! Well said!

Kim said...

I agree! I often wonder why people are so blind to the way the media and stars try to tell us how and what to think. Those who don't know the truth of God's Word will always follow whatever promises them happiness and prosperity. What is truly sad is when a Christian who knows the truth follows along with them.

Anonymous said...

Well said! You have a great way with words. You expressed exactly what I was thinking.

Susan said...

Hi, I came over by way of Candy & Roses. Thanks for this post hope somehow the word will get out how very wrong this "view" is. Why can't people believe the truth - Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Fist time visit. I could not believe the show. I did not see the first viewing, but only the follow-up. The authors basically said that heaven and hell was within each one of us, here on earth. Totallty refuting EVERYTHING Jesus died for. I was saddened and sickened. Oprah is such and influence to so many people, and for her stand by this like she has. My husband said it plainly. The Bible says their would be deceivers, and Oprah is a deceiver to many. Breaks my heart.

Betty said...

Susan,
The secret has been out for many hundreds of years.....Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you for this posting.

Anonymous said...

I came here from a link at Senkyoshi's, and I could not agree more. Well said.