February 23, 2010

Hello, Dear Blogging Friends

As you can see, I haven't blogged in a month. I have spent the last month in Kentucky caring for my Mom & Dad. Dad has congestive heart failure and has been in and out of the hospital three times in the last month. As you know, my Mom has Alzheimer's so I needed to be there so I could help take care of her. Something really bad happened one night. I was sleeping, and somehow my Mom slipped out without me hearing her. She went outside the assisted living building in only a t-shirt pants, and tennis shoes. It was 12 degrees that night and the ground was covered in ice and snow. God was really, really watching out for her, because she could have either broken a hip, or worse, frozen to death. If the guard hadn't seen her she would have. The front door automatically locks at 11:00 and she would have had no way to get in. When they asked her where she was going she said she was going to West Virginia. I felt absolutely riddled with guilt that this happened when I was caring for her. After that we had to install a lock outside her bedroom door so she couldn't get out at night. She has now slipped further and further away from us and is in stage 6 where she is having hallucinations and is becoming suspicious of people. This just breaks my heart, because she is not the Mom I knew anymore. Anyway, long story short, we ended up putting her and my Dad both in a nursing home where she can be watched 24/7, and my Dad can get the care he needs. We were so fortunate that we could get a room that they could share. The nursing home is a really good one. It is run by the Catholic nuns, and they are just amazing. I finally feel at peace with our decision, although my sister's and I cried many agonizing tears over it. The rest of my time was spent packing up all the memories, another really hard thing to do. Okay, that is all the depressing stuff I'm going to talk about ~ I just wanted y'all to know what's been going on. My next post will be much lighter. Here's a teaser: Imagine traveling 500 miles on an airplane with a cat!!!!!! Stay tuned!!!!!

Much love,
Susan P.

I just realized that is the longest, most rambling paragraph I have ever written on my blog! Sorry:)


Anonymous said...

Bless your heart....life really gets hard sometimes. Take care.


Livin' in the Sonshine said...

Praying God's love and comfort for you and your sisters.

Deb said...

Oooh, Susan! What a month you have had! You were missed. I'm glad that both your parents are well cared for, and I pray that you'll have peace and comfort leaning on the Lord as you go through these trials and sad end-of-life times.

Arlene Grimm said...

Glad you are back and looking forward to your tall tale!

Mrs. C said...

I'm sad that you're having to experience this, but glad that you are able to help your parents and be a blessing to them. :)

G.L.H. said...

So sorry you have had to go through this, but rejoicing that your parents can still be together. Praying that God will comfort your heart, and we are glad that you are back!

Anonymous said...

That has to be the hardest decision as a child we make. My sisters and I had to do that because my mom was unable to be cared for at home and after a time she thought that the nursing home was home. Prayers for your family, you did what is best for the family not yourselves.

A Quiet, Gracious Life said...

Wow, you've had quite a month! I'm sorry you've had such difficult decisions to make but am rejoicing with you that your parents were able to be together.


Mrs. Doug said...

I know just what you have struggled with. My Mom suffered with that disease too. My Dad died in '95 and she was alone. We had good neighbors and my daughters and I to help out around the house. Her disease came on quick and one night we discovered that she had gone out after the dog, fallen on the ice, and locked herself out of the house. It was the dead of winter and my daughter was with her, but at work that night. When she came home from work she found her sitting on the porch. At least she had thought to put on a coat and hat, but she had broken her hip probably from a fall on the ice. She was never the same after that. We moved in with her and took care of her till '05 she fell and had a horrible leg fracture that had to be repaired surgically. She went downhill fast after that and went home to be with the Lord in June of '05, almost exactly 10 years after my Dad. I had already made the decision to place her in a home, but she did not live long enough for that... thank the Lord. Those 10 years, though full of challenges, were some of the most wonderful I had with Mom. It is a distinct role reversal. She became the dependant. I had good help and adult daycare which was wonderful. She thought she was going to work :).

We'll be praying with you through this time of your lives. Hope the kitty made it home OK.

Mrs. D

Mrs. U said...

Oh Susan!!!
I can NOT imagine how hard this has been for you!!! May the Lord give you His peace and wisdom and y'all handle their care!!!

Mrs. U

Laura said...

Hi Susan,
I'm not sure how I found your blog but it's in my bookmarks to return to, which I did today. I just read the post about your mom and dad and I just really felt for you. I'm so sorry, that must have been hard, everything you describe. I've said a prayer for you and pray that the Lord will bring you great peace in the midst of this difficult time. Enjoy the clear moments you have with your parents! Blessings, Laura