January 06, 2009


Taking Comfort In The Familiar

I wanted to share this picture with you because it has always been one of my very favorites. This picture somehow "draws" me in and makes me want to stay. I guess to me it represents so many things that are near and dear to my heart, things such as home and family.

As you look at the picture you can tell by gazing outside the window that it is a cold winter's night. But, if you look at the scene before you it's easy to tell that inside it's all toasty warm thanks to the roaring fireplace. By the hearth you will find the comfy rocking chair just waiting for you to come and sit a spell. As you rock back and forth a smile crosses your lips as you hear the old familiar creaking sound. As a child you were rocked lovingly to sleep in that rocker night after night. The sound became somewhat like a sweet lullaby to your ears as you drifted off fast to sleep.

Sitting upon the chair is a handmade quilt that your Grammy made. It's made up entirely of scraps, but to you it is a beautiful masterpiece. You recognize many of the scraps because they came from the clothes that your grandparents wore. This old quilt is perfect to cuddle up with, and feels just like a great big bear hug from your dear Grammy!

Beside the chair is a basket of well-loved books just waiting to be read again. You have read them over so many times that you know every word and how each story ends. The pages are tattered and torn, but the words will always remain, even in your memory. Somehow by re reading it you feel like you are visiting with an old friend, comfortable and familiar.

When you look down you will see your beloved furry companion resting comfortably by your side. You remember the days when he would romp and play with great abandon, his strong, sturdy legs carrying him like the wind. If you close your eyes you can remember the feeling of the wind in your face as you ran joyfully across the fields together. Sadly, his feeble legs can't carry him very far anymore, but somehow even in his pain, he finds the strength to make it by your side. The two of you have been through a lot together, and even though words can never be spoken you have a language that is all your own.

Mainly I think I love this picture so much is because it serves as an important reminder to me. It reminds me that I have been abunduntly blessed. You see, the Lord has blessed me with each of these wonderful things that are found in this picture. My heart is happy and content and I rejoice in the fact that my blessings truly overflow! A cozy home, a loving family, good memories, happy times, joy, and laughter. It is my prayer that this picture will remind you of these things, too.
Picture courtesy of AllPoster

8 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great post, Susan...yes, that picture does remind me of being cozy and content and feeling really blessed. Thanks for sharing it :)

How is that sweet Baby Ben? I'll bet you are loving being a Nana more than you even believe...I'm so happy for you & your family!

Love,
Michelle

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, What a lovely post that accompanies the picture!!!I too love the look-makes one feel safe and content. You and I seem to love all the same things-isn't God good.
Blessings to you and yours.
Noreen

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love that picture, too. :)

I wrote about something very similar today.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. Do you know whether it is possible to purchase a print of that picture somewhere online?

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Susan P. said...

Anonymous, yes you can! Allposters sells it, just click on the link:)
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=/getposter.asp&APNum=913645&CID=FFFA160751934868AEA20FF72FD0BEE8&PPID=1&search=fireplace&f=t&FindID=0&P=1&PP=9&sortby=PD&cname=&SearchID=

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan ~

I, too love that picture. I have a jigsaw puzzle that has that picture. It gives such a warm and loving feeling.

Thank you for such a heartwarming post!

Simple blessings for your day!
Hugs ~
Teri

Elaine said...

The picture certainly drew me in, as did your narrative! Lovely!
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Great! Thank you!!
All best.