May 26, 2007




Strawberry "Poke" Cake
Our Favorite Summertime Dessert!

When Memorial Day weekend rolls around my family knows it's time for me to make our favorite summertime dessert. Not only is it light, which is perfect for summer, it is also, "oh, so tasty!" It is as "easy as pie, or I guess I should say, easy as cake" to make! LOL
1 box white cake mix
1 small box strawberry jello
1 small container cool whip
fresh strawberries

Mix cake according to instructions on box. Bake in a greased (I use Pam) 9x13 pan. When done allow to cool completely.


While waiting for the cake to cool you need to boil 1 1/2 cups water and add to strawberry jello that you have in a separate bowl. Stir the jello and water together thoroughly, about 2 minutes. Now comes the fun part. Take the end of a wooden spoon or something similar and begin "poking" holes all around the cooled cake. You can work out any frustrations my might have;o)



Once the cake has been "poked" it is time to pour the jello mixture over it.

Let cake cool completely again and then spread cool whip over cake. Place strawberries on top and if you have blueberries on hand you could use them to make the stars and the strawberries for the stripes for a flag cake!!! Perfect for Memorial Day. Chill cake for several hours or even overnight before serving. I hope you enjoy this easy, yet tasty summertime dessert!



14 comments:

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

This is a favorite in our home as well. I like the way you decorated the top with strawberries!

Jodi said...

Yummy! Your strawberry decoration looks like a big fat mum sitting on the cake ~ lovely!! :o)

Christie Belle said...

Mmmmmm, I've had this cake before and it is absolutely delicious. I can't remember who made it for me, but I'm glad to know the recipe now!

Kelli said...

This looks like the perfect summertime treat, Susan!! I think I will surprise my kiddos with it this coming Monday!

Kelli

Sandy said...

My Mom use to make this cake!
Wow, that really brings back memories. YUM.
Sandy
For Reluctant Entertainers

Mindy said...

Oh yummy...when can we eat it??? LOL!! Enjoy my friend!!

theups said...

Yum!! This sounds soo good and easy, too!! Thank you for sharing! I'll be making this soon!!

His,
Mrs. U

Kelli said...

Hi Susan! We picked up the ingredients for this cake tonight. I told Grace she could make it all by herself and she is very excited. :0)

Kelli

Anonymous said...

you made poke cake and didn't invite me? :(

Lura said...

Thanks for reminding me of this recipe. I made a cherry one with white cake yesterday and colored the Cool Whip blue for Memorial Day (red white and blue)!

Susan P. said...

Lura, it sounds so yummy AND festive! What a wonderful idea!

Susan P. said...

Annonymous, by any chance could you be my son??? LOL You know you NEVER need an invitation:o)

Anonymous said...

Try using a lemon cake mix and orange jello. Makes a cool summer treat.

Susan P. said...

Sharon, sounds so yummy ~ I will definitely have to try that!