July 25, 2006


One Of Those Days

It's one of "those" days, ladies. You know the kind. The one where you are not only having a "bad hair" day, but a "bad face"day, an I "can't do anything right" day, a "woe is me kind of day!" GRR! Can you hear the violins playing in the background? LOL Fortunately, these days don't come around too often, but when they do I have found a very good way to make me feel better. "What is it?" you ask. CHOCOLATE! Didn't you know that chocolate cures all ails?!!! So, instead of looking in the mirror and "boo hooing" and feeling "yucky" all day I decided to do something constructive! I decided to bake some cookies! Not just "any old" chocolate chip cookies, but chocolate chip cookies with all the "good fixins" inside like nuts, coconut, etc.... Just smelling them bake made my heart smile a little. I even thought my hair started to look a little better! I know, I know, in the morning I will feel tremendous guilt, but on days like these a "girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!" Margie is the wonderful woman who came up with this recipe. She says they are sooo good they will snare you a husband. We don't care about that, just give us our Chocolate and we will be happy, thank you very much!!

Margie's Cowboy Cookies
1 1/2 cups margarine, room temp.
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
4 cups flour
4 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups Hersheys chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix margarine and sugars in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt and beat well.

In a large bowl, whisk the baking powder and baking soda into the flour. Tap this mixture into the creamed ingredients, mixing slowly with a sturdy wooden spoon, and stir in the oats until the dough comes together. Finally, add in the chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop out the dough with an ice cream scoop. (Remember, these are for cowboys with big appetites or ladies who are having a bad day!) Press the top of the cookie dough mound down lightly with a spoon. Bake for 7-15 minutes, until light golden in color with tiny cracks on top. Makes 4 dozen.

5 comments:

Amy said...

My mother made these all the time when we were little. They are *the best*!

Mindy said...

This sounds like something that i would do too!!! Bake cookies and then eat them, feeling much better afterwards!!! Your post put a smile on my face though...i can completely understand it all to well!
Blessings to you..

Kelli said...

Ooh....yummy!! I agree with you that chocolate cures an awful lot of things! :0)
Kelli

Mississippi Girl said...

These sound sooooo yummy!!!
Jennifer R.

Susan P. said...

amy, that's so neat you used to have these cookies when you were little! They are the "best," aren't they??

Mindy, Kelli, and Jennifer, "chocoholics, unite!!"