July 24, 2006

Confession Time
I married into a very, very Large, wonderful Italian family. I grew up eating meat and potatoes, my husband grew up eating pasta this and pasta that. His Mom can cook one "mean" lasagna. They even have it for Christmas dinner, for goodness sake! I had never heard of such a thing! As a child (I'm 48 now) I remember Chef Boyardee had this spaghetti dinner in a box "thingy" that my Mom would cook on RARE occasions.(Some of you know what I'm talking about!) So, needless to say I was a bit, no make that a LOT, intimidated when it came to cooking Italian food for Mr. P. The poor man was used to the best Italian cuisine and he hooked up with this young bride who knew NOTHING about it! I try and try, I really do and I have finally somewhat "mastered" three dishes. They are eggplant parmesean (above,) lasagna, and manicotti. I do have a secret weapon, though! But SSHHHH, don't tell my Mother-in-law!!

8 comments:

Amy said...

LOL! Hey, it works! I do this sometimes too when I want to eat "Italian" but am too tired to make my own sauce.

Michelle said...

Ha! Ha! We all need to keep a little mystery about ourselves!

Enjoyed your blog very much!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was any other way to make sauce!! ;-)

Susan P. said...

Ladies, I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone!

belle-ah, I am so glad you visited! Thank you so much for you kind words, the welcome mat is always out for you!
Blessings!

Kelli said...

I'll keep your secret quiet. ;0) I'm with Mrs. Linebarger...there's another way?!?!
I sure would like your eggplant parmesan recipe. It looks so good!!
Kelli

Susan P. said...

Okay Kelli, just don't tell my mother-in-law! All I do is thinly slice eggplant and then dip in egg wash and coat with Italian bread crumbs. Fry until golden brown in olive oil. Grease casserole dish and pour just a thin layer of sauce.Then start your layers like this: layer of eggplant, (good amt. of sauce), moz.cheese, and do this however many layers you want. Final layer also add some sprinkled parm. cheese. 350 for about 25 min. EASY, easy, easy!! SSHHH!!

Kelli said...

Thank you so much for the recipe, Susan! I can't wait to try it!
Kelli

karm said...

Any chance to try your mother in law's lasagne recipe? I've never had it the Italian mama's way!