July 19, 2006


The Best Playdough, EVER!!

I am a former preschool teacher, kindergarten teacher, and most importantly I was a Mom to young children! Through all those years I think I have found the best recipe for playdough. It is so much better than the stuff you buy at the store and you can choose the color and smell of it just by adding Kool-Aid! It is great for cutting out shapes with a rolling pin and cookie cutters and if you store it in a sealed ziploc bag it will last a long time. Give it a try, I know you won't go back!
Playdough:
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 cups water
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup cream of tartar
1 package (small) unsweetened Kool-Aid (The vibrant colors are best!)

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook and stir over low/medium heat until play is completely formed and no longer sticky. Allow to cool before playing with. Store in ziploc bag.

This could easily be cut in half but since I had two children (plus me LOL) I needed a lot!

3 comments:

G.L.H. said...

Is that a half "teaspoon" or "tablespoon" of cream of tartar?

Thanks!

Susan P. said...

g.l.h., SO sorry, that's what happens when I'm in a rush! It is 1/2 cup cream of tartar. I know that sounds like a lot but that is what "makes" the playdough! (You can always half the recipe because it does make a lot.) Thanks for pointing that out to me, I changed the post! Let me know if you like it.

Lisa said...

I loved that recipe when I was a preschool teacher (and mom to young ones). In one of my classes I had a playdough eater so I was happy to find this recipe and know that there was nothing toxic in it for her. I loved the way it smelled with the koolaid in it. Oooohhh makes me want to make some and play with it myself right now!