September 04, 2009



Mr P & I Can't See "Nose" To "Nose" On This

As I said the other day, I just love this time of year when I can open up the windows and let all the fresh air in and all the stale air out. But, what's a girl to do all those other months? Herein lies my conundrum. Conundrum,hmm, don't you love that word? lol Mr. P & I do not see "nose" to "nose" on this issue at all. No matter what I do to try to make the house smell nice, he doesn't like. Come on, fess up girls, y'all know what I'm talking about! If you don't, here are some examples:



I discovered this wonderful candle last year ~ it's made by Yankee and the frangrance is called Mulling Spices, it smells just like you are brewing a delicious batch of apple cider. However, almost as soon as I lit it Mr. P looked at me with furrowed brow and said, "what's that smell?" Notice, he said smell, not scent. Y'all know the difference, right;) i.e. A skunk smells, honeysuckle has a lovely scent. A dirty diaper smells, a rose bush has a sweet, delicate scent. Hmm....not quite the reaction I was hoping for. Now, I'm quite sure if one of my girlfriends dropped by when it was burning I would get this reaction, "oh, I just love that fragrance, it smells just like Fall.! Makes me want to get out my decorations and bake something. Where did you get it? I must go and get one, too!!!!" Y'all totally get this, don't you girls? HA




Okay, obviously candles aren't going to work, because he's like that with every one I burn. So, on to plan B. Yankee also makes some wonderful smelling plug-ins and I figured I'd put it behind the chair where Mr. P couldn't see it. I thought "surely, he won't notice this." WRONG!!!!! As soon as he opened the door that evening he said, "what's that smell." Are you kidding me?? Who in the world doesn't like Butter cream??????? Ugh.........................



So, on to plan C. I do a little spray dance all around the room ~ ah, smells so good! I can fill my spirits lifting! Guess what? Febreze makes him cough...............



Potpourri? This darling bag of potpourri that smells like lavender fields and has the cutest little rosebuds you ever did see. I tried putting it into delicate little containers, you know, the cutesy kind we women love. Yep, you guessed it. It gives him a headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



So, after giving up almost all hope I discovered a "new to me" thing on the market ~reeds with infused oils. Y'all know I redid my bathroom recently so I went and bought this darling little container to put the oil and reeds in. Now, I promise I'm not kidding y'all ~ that very evening Mr. P came home and went into the bathroom to see what I had done. He was very complimentary, but then gave me this strange look. He asked, "what in the world are those sticks in our bathroom for?" Uh, oh! I very innocently told him they were just for decoration (well, they are kinda, sorta;) He shrugs his shoulders and then goes into the study which is next to the powder room. Not two minutes have passed and I hear him calling, "what's that smell?"


Oh boy.................................. I give up! I guess I'll just go back to doing what I did before ~baking yummy things like pies, brownies, cakes and bread ~ he NEVER complained about that! On the bright side, I guess there's nothing wrong with our home smelling like chocolate chip cookies;)

9 comments:

Arlene G said...

I feel your pain Susan. I have a Tyler Candle scent that I love(Panache was its old name but they changed it to something else). Hubby hates it. I will look for the Yankee Mulling Spices...sounds yummy.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My husband can't figure out why one would burn a candle if the electricity is not out, much less one that adds perfume. :)

Erin said...

I am really sensitive to candle smells but I have found a few that don't bother me at all Yankee Candle's pumpkin spice and the tarts as well, Bean Pods autumn harvest has a very very light scent, same for the Bean Pod McIntosh and the Yankee McIntosh, just a light scent. I love all the candles but some of the stronger ones just really bother me. You might just try burning a votive of the ones that I mentioned above and see how he reacts to that instead of spending on the jar candles. I love burning my fall candles and baking!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Susan, Loved this post because my husband will call my Yankee candles-fufu candles and make fun of them until we have fish or something smelly for dinner and then he actually tells me to light one.LOL. I too the fall for the many smells and sights and he just has to live with them...
Enjoy your weekend.
Noreen

Anonymous said...

Oh how funny!

Unfortunately most candles and perfumes give me headaches and make me sneeze. With the Yankee candles I'm okay as long as it's a food scent. I *love* the butter cream scent. I'll guess you'll have to burn yours when he's not home. LOL (o:

Mrs. U said...

HAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!! Oh did I have a good laugh with this post!! HAHAHAHA!!!!! Yep, BIG difference between "smell" and "scent"!! HAHAHHAA!!!

Mr. U only likes a FEW candles. I suppose I should be thankful for that. :) I try to keep those few handy.

His,
Mrs. U
(who is STILL laughing!!!)

Paula said...

Oh, I can sympathize with you, Susan! My hubby is hot natured. When he walks into an empty room and sees a lit candle, he will walk over to it and blow it out. The reason? He says that tiny little flame makes the room warmer!!! :)

Jackie said...

I think my husband is related to your husband. I get the what's that smell comment whenever I try candles etc. Men!

Anonymous said...

No lovely scented candles here either. I buy pillar candles and hollow out the top to put in an unscented tealight. That way I can have a pretty colored candle without the comments. The only scent I can have in the house is "clean". ( that means pinesol for us) Ha!

Michele in MN