January 24, 2008

Scavenger Hunt (Day 4)
Closet, Drawer, Floor & Backyard!

Thanks so much for joining me on my scavenger hunt again today. As the title explains I found something in a closet, something in a drawer, something on the floor, and even something in the backyard. I have been absolutely delighted with these little changes, although it might not seem like much, I think it's the little touches in and around a house that really make it that nice, cozy home we all long for.

*I didn't take before pics because it would take up too much space, so y'all will just have to imagine!

Closet
While searching through a closet I found this little yellow and blue winter berry wreath. I decided the perfect place for it would be on the knobs of my display cabinet. All I did was add a little blue ribbon and that's it! The inside of the cabinet is actually a lot darker than the picture shows so I thought the wreath would look nice there and maybe give a little "oomph" to the cabinet when the village isn't lit.


Drawer
The next place I searched through was one of my linen drawers. I opened a box and was delighted to find these rose napkin rings which I hadn't used in years. To tell you the truth I had almost forgotten about them. I think they go perfect with my Valentine table.





Floor
When I looked over at the fireplace I thought it could use a little "sprucing" up. We have a very dull looking beige carpet in our family room and I thought something in front of the fireplace that had a little color would definitely spruce it up. I went searching around the house and came up with this cute little yellow/blue braided rug. That is just one of the reasons why I love decorating with most of the same colors because I can always switch things around from room to room. I think the rug gives the fireplace a little "definition," and it also evokes a feeling of warmth and coziness to me ~ not to mention it is a wonderful resting place for my"babies!"


Backyard
Today was such a c o l d day here in Virginia. I bundled up and went outside to feed the birds and started thinking how I longed for Spring and some beautiful color coming back into our yard. I looked over at the acuba bush and realized that it did have color, GREEN with specks of YELLOW! I ran into the shed and got the clippers and started clipping merrily away. When I got inside I looked through another closet and found this pitcher that in the past I have used as a utensil holder. I put the beautiful acuba into the pitcher and then thought it would look even nicer and cheerier with a gingham bow attached! I can't tell y'all how nice it is to have something from my yard inside for me to enjoy.



Lessons Learned
This week has been quite an eye-opener for me. After really looking around I most definitely have an over abundance of "stuff" and the very LAST thing I need to do is buy more "stuff." I say this because I know that what will ultimately happen is it will all end up in drawers and closets and forgotten once again.

I have really been convicted by this experience and so very humbled, as well. The Lord has blessed us so richly and I need to appreciate everything I have NOW and not want more. So, instead of going out and buying more new "stuff" I plan on using the "stuff" I already have in as creative a way as I can. As for the "stuff" I know I will never use again I need to pull up my sleeves and get to work so I can donate it to people who really need it. Hmm, sounds like a good future post, don't you think ? ;o)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it fun to shop at home. You find all sorts of goodies you didn't know you had. Girl you did very well.

Paula said...

Those napkin rings finish off your table setting perfectly! :)

Lura said...

I loved your posts from this week. Thanks for giving us all inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I, too, am wanting to be more content and satisfied with what I already have. It is fun to use something you have on hand and not spend money for things that may end up in the thrift store in the future because we didn't really need them. I have already done enough of that!
Thank you for the encouragement.

Sharon

Kim said...

Your scavenger hunt has been an inpiration. I did one of my own. Stop by and see.