November 27, 2007


On My Heart
As the holidays are upon us we are all involved in decorating, baking, going to play rehearsals, church functions, parties, etc... It is a time of great joy but can also be one of sadness, too. It is a time when families come together and it can also be a time when we are reminded of family members who are no longer with us. I experienced this myself during Thanksgiving because it was the first time my dear Grammy would not be with us.

Throughout the years my Grammy had given us many flowers and trees that she had transplanted from her yard. She loved gardening so much and it always gave her great joy to bless others with the fruits of her labors. On Thanksgiving morning I was so happy to look out my kitchen window and see that the Camellia bush she had given us was in full bloom. I knew at that moment exactly what I was going to do. I went out and cut a blossom for each person at our table in honor of my Grammy. Although she could no longer sit at the table with us, she was certainly there with us in our hearts.


A dear friend shared with me about her sadness of missing her dear Mom. I am sure during this holiday season that some of you may be missing loved ones either through death, distance, or maybe even other reasons. As I was thinking of this I decided to go to "google" and I entered "Empty Place At Our Table," because that seemed to describe the feeling I was having. Not knowing what would come up I felt so blessed when this wonderful song came up. It really spoke to my heart. I hope it will to yours, as well.

9 comments:

Karen said...

Dear Susan, I know how you're feeling. Even though my grandmother was here, she's not "here". She suffers from Alzheimers, and had taken a fall the day before Thanksgiving. It's sad to see them in the process of leaving us, but I have the joy of knowing I will see her again one day. Your thoughtful sharing of the camellia's was a beautiful tribute to your Grammy. Blessings and hugs to you today.

Jodi said...

((Susan)) ~ The holidays are very hard when your heart is missing somebody. I'm so glad your camellias bloomed to help ease your hurt. Placing them on the table was such a touching gesture. Thank you for sharing that beautiful song ... it left me weeping.

Amy Jo said...

I love what you did with the plant. Very good idea.

It's also hard on families that are divided because of separation/divorce. This was my first really major holiday separated from my husband, and I cried for days.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful song. Thank you so much for posting it.

Suzy said...

What a wonderful post about your Grammy!and what a blessing for you to have the Camellia bush to bloom,just when you needed it!

The song was lovely...thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Susan, What a neat way to honor your grandma! I listened to that song yesterday...and cried some more! But that was okay - tears are cleansing, healing...it was definitely just a "missin' mom" day altogether. Seems it doesn't matter if it's been 15 years since her passing - still feels like it just happened sometimes...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful post!

Hugs,
Michelle

Lallee said...

How special that the camellia was blooming at just the right time. That was a beautiful way for everyone to remember her. Don't you love the way God does special things like this?

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Dear Susan,
How wonderful that your Grammy's camellias bloomed! I understand how your heart feels, we recently lost my dh's "Granny" and I always miss my parents the most around the holidays.
Love, Kim

SarahJ said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I am dreading this coming Christmas as it is the first without my brother, who died this year. The beautiful song was such a blessing. Thank you again. SarahJ