It's All In The Attitude
When Monday morning rolls around if you are like me you have a list of "to do's" a mile long. Now, on that list are things that you really take joy in doing. Also on that list are things that you really don't "love" to do but you don't mind doing them. And then, there are a few things on that list that you absolutely dislike doing and would much rather go to the dentist for a root canal than partake of that particular chore. LOL Now granted, I'm exaggerating a little there, okay, a lot, but you get the idea!
Okay, it is true confession time for me. The chore that I absolutely and utterly dislike to do is to scrub floors. I'd rather be using a toilet brush any day! I have been known to take wet Bounty paper towels and put them under my feet and do the "clean floor boogie" across the floor;) Something tells me my floors don't really get clean this way. I don't really know what is it that makes me dislike it so, I just know that I do. Consequently, that chore looms over me constantly, kind of like a nagging little drip, "you need to do the floors." "Susan, you really should start on those floors." And on and on and on. I truly waste more time worrying about the dreaded chore than it would have taken me to complete it. Silly, huh? Because of this dilemma I have decided I am going to meet the problem head on. How? By changing my attitude! Here is what I plan on doing:
1. Realize that the Lord has entrusted me with this beautiful home and family and it is not only my duty but also my honor and privilege to care for it
2. The chore that I dislike doing I am going to do with "gusto!" Yep, you heard me right. I am going to tackle those floors with as great energy as I can muster. I am going to clean those floors until they shine. I am going to make them so clean you could eat off of them!
3. I am going to do this chore BEFORE ANY OTHER IN THE MORNING! There is no sense in thinking about the chore I dislike doing all day. Putting it off and putting it off and putting it off is NOT GOING TO MAKE IT GO AWAY! Y'all, please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks like this:0) I vow that I will do it in the morning with a cheerful countenance and a grateful heart.
4. I will try to find ways to make this chore as pleasant as possible. Remember how I use lavender ironing spray to make my ironing more enjoyable? I need to do that with scrubbing floors. Some possibilities would be to put on some peppy music or praise music. I could use this time to pray or I could be memorizing bible verses. Another really good thing to do is TALK~
I remember that some of my best conversations with my own Mother occurred in the kitchen while she was doing chores. I have some really good memories of our time spent there.
5. Most importantly, I will meditate on this verse, "and whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men." I will take pride in my work and do it to the best of my ability.
So, whose with me? What chore is it that you dislike doing and what are some ways you can make that chore a more pleasurable experience? Remember, it's all in the attitude!